Elementary First Aid Training
From a new trainee to the Master, all crewmembers on board a vessel must be trained and ready to deliver effective first aid in the event of a medical emergency. Whether treatment is given to counteract shock, relieve pain or prevent further injury or death, it is often essential that first aid is given quickly to preserve life, prevent worsening or promote recovery. In some cases, such as severe bleeding or asphyxiation, a few seconds’ delay might mean the difference between life and death.
When working at sea, professional healthcare is often hours away. Crewmembers are not able to pick up a phone and call for help. This is why everyone on board must have sufficient knowledge to be able to deliver first aid and make conscious decisions on whether treatment can be safely delayed until senior personnel arrive. In those seconds and minutes before more experienced personnel arrive, the first aid treatment given by those who discover the casualty can be essential in keeping the person alive.
13-part elementary first aid series
While elementary first aid training is compulsory for all crewmembers on board, this forms just a small percentage of the training each person will undergo. In order to refresh crewmembers on the key principles and procedures required to deliver effective first aid, Seagull Maritime has created the Elementary First Aid series to act as a refresher. From CPR to transporting a casualty, the 13-part series contains everything you need to know to respond effectively as an elementary first aider in the case of a medical emergency.
For more information on each of the titles in the Elementary First Aid series, click on the links below:
- Elementary first aid, Principles of first aid
- Elementary first aid, Assessing the casualty
- Elementary first aid, Facilities and equipment
- Elementary first aid, Causes of unconsciousness
- Elementary first aid, Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
- Elementary first aid, Automated external defibrillator (AED)
- Elementary first aid, Bleeding and bandaging
- Elementary first aid, Burns
- Elementary first aid, Shock
- Elementary first aid, Fractures and dislocations
- Elementary first aid, Transporting a casualty
- Elementary first aid, Spinal injuries
- Elementary first aid, Electric Shock